The Adventure Continues

Sunday, February 14, 2016



For the beginning of the story, please see this post.


Dr. Pittman returned on Thursday for Amadeus' recheck and to begin “handing the reins”(pun shamelessly intended) over to my “normal” farrier once again.

I was eager to see how Amadeus had progressed, but podiatry days require me to rise an hour earlier than usual to make the drive to the barn and to try to get most of the morning chores finished before our appointment.




4:45 AM is a cruel and unusual punishment for someone who is not a morning person in the least.

The horses were fed and watered and hay was thrown. I was sleepy, cold, and hungry.

So, business as usual.





I brought Amadeus in from his paddock, tied him up, kissed his nose, and started mucking out stalls.

About five minutes later, Dr. Pittman pulled up to the barn. Right on time, as usual. Seriously. That man has never been anything, but punctual and I can't quite figure out his secret.

Okay, confession. If I didn't spend the first fifteen minutes of my day scrolling through Facebook on my phone, I might manage to be consistently on time, too.

Actually, come to think of it, my farrier beat him there, but only by a minute or so.

I digress.

Dr. Pittman unloaded his equipment from his Ghostbuster truck. Strangely, he has never brought along the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Disappointing.






Amadeus stood on the wooden blocks to get his first set of radiographs done. I was handed that awful, lead filled apron “prom dress” whICH I HATE SO MUCH BECAUSE IT IS LIKE 300 POUNDS, I SWEAR.

But apparently, keeping my innards non-liquified is preferable. Pfftt.

Cue some requests from me about preferring it to be red and bedazzled.

Cue courtesy laughs.

Amadeus is totally chill with the whole process. It's just another Thursday for him at this point.

He did seem a little jealous that I got a lead apron and he did not.

Amadeus is wanting to exfoliate to around 15mm of sole. 18mm would be ideal, but he is staying sound and happy, so we will accept this.

After radiographs comes the trimming and resetting of shoes. That part is super boring because as the handler, I just stand there. Bored. Cold. Sleepy. Hungry and all those other dwarves. Amadeus is usually pretty complacent, but by about the third foot, he started getting impatient and wiggly. But nobody got kicked and I consider that a good day with this particular equine. ;)

Amadeus is now in a flat, rocker shoe instead of a wedge. Yay! More radiographs were taken to double check everything and I trotted Amadeus in hand to make sure that he was still happy. He wasn't happy about having to trot, but overall, he was perfectly fine.

Okay, okay, so Dr. Pittman kindly sent me all of Amadeus' radiographs and holy cow! PROGRESS!

I'm just including the right front from each appointment to save space. All radiographs from August 29 and on belong to Innovative Equine Podiatry.


August 25, 2015



August 29, 2015




 October 9, 2015




November 17, 2015





December 31, 2015



February 11, 2016





All of this has been six months in the making. Looking back on how much work has gone into this horse's feet and the circumstances surrounding it, I know nothing short of Providence got us here. Dr. Pittman has been such a blessing and I am eternally grateful for all of the hard work and thought and sincerity he has put into returning Amadeus to soundness. The amount of effort and attention to detail he puts into everything he does has been such a comfort to me over the entire process. I'm such a worrier and Amadeus is my baby. Knowing the personalized care he has received all the way brings such a peace to my heart.

Thank you, Dr. Pittman, for everything you have done for Amadeus and me. Your knowledge is priceless.

Amadeus will have his shoes reset by my farrier in six weeks. Six weeks after that, Dr. Pittman will return to make sure Amadeus is holding on to the sole depth he needs. My job is monitoring him and continuing to bring him slowly back into work. I'm still in such awe of how well this turned out. I know if God hadn't sent me to Dr. Pittman that I would likely be telling a far different story.


Grateful and blessed doesn't even begin to cover it.


-Ashlyn

2 comments :

  1. FFSDKNSANCION I'VE BEEN SUCH A BAD GIRL AND NOT READ YOUR BLOG IN LIKE FOREVER WHAT KIND OF A HUMAN AM I EVEN. hi. *hands over all my pineapples* *because this is a pineapple heist suddenly yeah*

    I'M SO HAPPY TO READ THISSSS. Like gah. ♥ warm fuzzies!! Your little darling is gonna be okay :') yay! "Bored. Cold. Sleepy. Hungry and all those other dwarves." < THIS SLAYYEEDD MEEE.

    love,
    abbiee

    p.s. THESE HEADERS LOOK LIKE THE CHAPTER HEADERS IN NARNIA AND I'M IN LOVE OKI BAI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WILL TAKE THOSE PINEAPPLES BECAUSE THEY ARE MAGICALLY DELICIOUS

      BUT YOU ARE A GOOD HUMAN and I post an obnoxious amount let us be for real. XD

      YES HE IS. He is back to his bratty self, that is for sure. THANK YOOUUUU!!!

      OMG THAT IS SUCH A COMPLIMENT AHHH NOW I'M GLAD I PICKED THE VINTAGE-EY CLIPART

      Delete

Español? Français? Deutsch?

Back to Top